Dubai Through the Metro Glass

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Busing

I wasn't thinking much beyond the metro window when I started this blog, but just as interesting is the view from and on the bus. Taking the bus, seems to be an essential component of taking the metro. In that light the unified bus/metro fare makes sense.

Dubai 2009--the future is now. Train approaching Financial Center station.

I'd have to say I'm a fan of Dubai's double-decker buses. They're not like the famous Red London buses as the ones in Dubai are all brand new and ultra modern. Riding on the top deck you get an unrivaled and basically free tourist-ready view of the city.

Different from the metro, you will find more laborers on the buses, but for the most part the passengers seem to consist of a full variety of the population, excluding Western expats and locals. Actually, there appear to be very few Arabs of any nationality.

Oh well, that leaves us with natives of the sub-continent, as it's called, and Filipinos mostly.

Sitting in the seat across the aisle from me is a handsome Pashtoon wearing the traditional hospital gown colored pajama garb and a Ramadan beaded cap. For the most part, things shiny and new like these buses and the metro, remain that way in Dubai. I think I'm the only person around toting an expensive camera and laptop, but there is no need to be concerned about anything getting snatched.

Station entrance of Financial Center

Bank vault? No, restroom entrance in the station.

Back on the metro I am continuing my commute to Rashidiya. When I boarded, the train was packed.

At the first stop I got off and moved up a few carriages to where there was a bit more space. Then, I disembarked again at Union station and took photos on the two station levels there.

That done, I came back down to the platform and boarded the next Rashidiya bound train, which was quite empty.

I have a seat now, the easier to blog from! The moral of this, if your carriage is too crowded get off and move to another. If the train is still too crowded, then disembark and take the next one.


Sun sets on the city--view from the metro at DXB International.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Stats

Followers

About Me

My photo
American expat, in the UAE since 2000. Language teacher by profession; blogging and Dubai & South Asia enthusiast. Email me for more info or to comment.