Dubai Through the Metro Glass

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Burj Dubai Station & the Big Day (Tomorrow)

It was open today, ahead of the big opening day of the Burj Dubai. Media reports were that the station would be open for the event and it makes sense that they have started a dry run at least a day before. I expect the station to be inundated tomorrow.

I presume I am one of the first users of the new station. The numbers on the platform this evening could be counted on two hands. One of these, strangely, was a white shaggy bearded elderly man in backpacker attire. When I sat next to him on the platform he began to advise me of the train schedule, supposing that this was all new with the opening of the new station.

He apparently is here for the opening of the Burj tomorrow. He presumed I was too but when I told him I was working here, he expressed amazement that a foreigner could have such an opportunity. How is that so, he asked. He described himself as a 77 year old (or was it 87?) Denmark citizen. I would describe him simply as Santa Claus.

Could that be a sign of things to come with the events surrounding the opening of the Burj Dubai? Maybe. This man is a totally new breed of visitor to Dubai. The newspaper says 2 billion people will be watching the event worldwide. I can't say I would expect anything like that. We'll just have to see how far the excitement goes.

It hasn't much penetrated the thick walls of the office where I work on Sheikh Zayed Road. As far as I could tell I'm the only one buzzing about the event tomorrow. A colleague happens to be renting a flat in Business Bay with a view of the tower, so he'll be able to see the spectacle from his own windows. How lucky is that! But he seemed totally nonchalant.

Not me. I'm so excited. I had thought I'd take the whole day off from work tomorrow in order to secure the best public viewing spot. I have my sights on the promenade at the Burj Dubai residences, which will provide not only a clear view of the tower and part of the lake, but also the viewing screen on which a special showing will be presented for Sheikh Mohammad and his 6000 invited guests.

With those thoughts in mind I got an unexpected call while in the office this afternoon. The caller was a person I had met at a publicity event a couple of weeks ago. It turns out their photographer is unavailable for a visit inside the tower tomorrow morning. He asked if I could fill in!

Wow, you bet I will. So 8 a.m. tomorrow I'll be heading into the Tower of Dubai with camera in hand, ahead of the grand opening. So excited I was that I failed to get the details of the visit. I'll be ready with a full report and pictures tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. Lucky you! I'm so jealous :)

    I'm still making plans on where I should be to enjoy the fireworks.

    Have a great time and post pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on Shk Zayed Road last night and saw a light projected from the top of Burj Dubai towards the sky. It was more apparent when clouds where directly on top of the tower. It reminded me of Batman's light projector of Gotham city..

    Its a big day for you tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what your lense will capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. It ought to be a superb day tomorrow. Dubai will be magnificent.

    ReplyDelete

Site Stats

Followers

About Me

My photo
American expat, in the UAE since 2000. Language teacher by profession; blogging and Dubai & South Asia enthusiast. Email me for more info or to comment.